Survial Books Logo

Welcome to Guides for Living, Working, Retiring, & Buying Property Abroad


Posted on: 16th Jan 2015

If you plan to take a pet abroad, it's important to check the latest regulations. Make sure that you have the correct papers, not only for your country of destination, but for all the countries you will pass through to reach it, e.g. when travelling overland. Particular consideration must be given before exporting a pet from a country with strict quarantine regulations, such as the UK. If you need to return prematurely, even after a few hours or days abroad, your pet may need to go into quarantine.

            Some countries (e.g. Australia and Britain) operate a quarantine period, which may be in the owner's own home, and some (such as Britain and Sweden) have a pet's passport scheme. Most countries require pets to have a health certificate issued by an approved veterinary surgeon and vaccination certificates for rabies and possibly other diseases. A rabies vaccination must usually be given not less than 20 days or more than 11 months prior to the date of issue of the health certificate. Pets aged under 12 weeks are usually exempt, but must have a health certificate and a certificate stating that no cases of rabies have occurred for at least six months in the local area. Note that there's no quarantine period (or only a token one) in many countries when pets are exported from countries without rabies.

            Further information is available in our Living and Working series of books.


comments powered by Disqus