Survial Books Logo

Welcome to Guides for Living, Working, Retiring, & Buying Property Abroad


Posted on: 16th Jan 2015

The most important qualification for working abroad is often the ability to speak the local language. Once you have overcome this hurdle you should establish whether your trade or professional qualifications and experience are recognised in a particular country. If you aren't experienced, employers usually expect studies to be in a relevant discipline and to have included work experience, i.e. on-the-job training. Professional or trade qualifications are required to work in many fields, although these are much more stringent in some regions (e.g. Northern Europe) than in others.

            Most qualifications recognised by professional and trade bodies in North America or European Union countries are accepted throughout the world. However, recognition varies from country to country, and in some cases foreign qualifications aren't recognised by local employers or professional and trade associations. All academic qualifications should also be recognised, although they may be given less prominence than equivalent local qualifications, depending on the country and the educational establishment where they were gained. In general, qualifications earned in developing countries aren't as acceptable abroad as those from western institutions. Some professionals and tradesmen are required to undergo special training or work under supervision for a period (possibly a number of years) before they are permitted to work unsupervised or work as self-employed.

            Further information is available in our Living and Working series of books.


comments powered by Disqus